Easy Instant Pot Au Gratin Potatoes are easy, cheesy and delicious! I absolutely love how much time is saved by making these cheesy potatoes in my Instant Pot!
My husband is the KING of Au Gratin potatoes at our house. He’s an amazing cook and I rarely dislike anything he makes, but when he makes cheesy, delicious Au Gratin Potatoes… I’m full-on drooling!
However, Au Gratin potatoes take a long time to cook. He usually bakes them for at least an hour and by the time you add in peeling, slicing and all that jazz, they’re not a fast dish.
Recently, on a night when I was cooking instead of Richy, I decided to try my hand at Au Gratin potatoes. But since I was short on time, I figured out a way to do them in the Instant Pot.
This cut my cook time down dramatically and while they weren’t as amazing as my husband’s homemade, from-scratch, full-on version… these were really delicious!
Is your mouth watering yet? Mine is. So let’s make them!
Easy Instant Pot Au Gratin Potatoes
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced evenly (about 1/4 inch slices)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon white or black pepper (or both… we love both!)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk (we use whole)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
First, mix together the water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and add to the pressure cooker pot. Then add the peeled, sliced potatoes.
For slicing the potatoes, I cannot recommend highly enough getting a mandoline. I bought my hubby one a few years ago and it’s one of his most favorite kitchen tools!
Shop for tools!
You get perfect slices, every time and SUPER fast! We use it several times a week for potatoes, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cheese, and more! Check out the one we have here.
Anywho… after you add the potatoes, salt and water – set your Instant Pot to manual and cook for 1 minute.
While the potatoes are cooking, you’ll make the cheese sauce on your cooktop. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, remaining salt and pepper. Cook for a minute, then add the milk and bring to a boil.
Mix in two cups of the cheese and remove from heat; stir until completely melted and combined.
After the potatoes are done, quick-release the pressure, then prepare a baking dish with nonstick spray. Layer the potatoes with the cheese sauce in the dish.
Top with remaining cheese and place under a broiler for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown!
Let it cool for just a few minutes and then enjoy these cheesy, delicious Easy Instant Pot Au Gratin Potatoes!!
Questions about this recipe? Leave me a comment!Print
Easy Instant Pot Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
Instant Pot Au Gratin Potatoes are easy, cheesy and delicious! I absolutely love how much time is saved by making these cheesy potatoes in my Instant Pot!
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced evenly (about ¼ inch slices)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon white or black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Mix together water and ½ teaspoon salt.
- To the electric pressure cooker, add the salt water and then sliced potatoes. Program the electric pressure cooker to cook on “manual” or “pressure cook” for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, remaining salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Add milk all at once and continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil. Mix in 2 cups of cheese and remove from heat. The sauce will continue to thicken as it rests.
- Preheat the oven broiler. Prepare a 9×9 square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- When the electric pressure cooker cycle is complete, perform a quick pressure release. Carefully remove potatoes and layer with cheese sauce in baking dish.
- Cover the casserole with remaining cheese, if desired. Place under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.