- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced evenly (about ¼ inch slices)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon white or black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Mix together water and ½ teaspoon salt.
- To the electric pressure cooker, add the salt water and then sliced potatoes. Program the electric pressure cooker to cook on “manual” or “pressure cook” for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, remaining salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Add milk all at once and continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil. Mix in 2 cups of cheese and remove from heat. The sauce will continue to thicken as it rests.
- Preheat the oven broiler. Prepare a 9×9 square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- When the electric pressure cooker cycle is complete, perform a quick pressure release. Carefully remove potatoes and layer with cheese sauce in baking dish.
- Cover the casserole with remaining cheese, if desired. Place under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.